Hospital-based facilities that staff currently certified International Board Certified Lactation Consultants (IBCLCs) can apply online to become a recognized IBCLC Care Award facility and be included in the IBCLC Care Directory. Newly recognized facilities will be added to the directory each year. The listing is valid for two (2) years and facilities must reapply before their expiration year to continue being listed in the directory. Is your workplace hospital-based? Click here for the list.
2023 IBCLC Care Award applications are now closed.
- Review the Hospital Application Checklist; you must have all checklist items ready prior to completing the application form.
- Complete the Hospital Application online by March 24, 2023; a $50 USD administrative fee will apply.
- View a sample application.
- IBLCE and ILCA will conduct a formal review in March – April 2023.
- Approved facilities will be notified in May 2023.
- One or more dedicated lactation consultant support positions with IBCLC as the required credential, and a dedicated lactation program available at least 5 days a week.
- Any evidence-based project started within the last two years (between January 2021 and January 2023) that protects, promotes and supports breastfeeding and the IBCLC credential. Include project description and documentation.
- Project examples: Establishment of a lactation consultant service, setting up a lactation consultant warm line, establishment of a breastfeeding support group, establishment of in-patient skin-to-skin care, etc.
- Project documentation* should include: (a) description of the project; (b) goal of the project; (c) any outcomes of the project (if available), and; (d) evidence of the project, (i.e., brochures, newsletters, flyers, etc.) as one (1) file.
- Documentation of breastfeeding training/updates within the last two years (between January 2021 and January 2023) for health professional staff who care for new families, and which is separate from the breastfeeding project. All education/trainings need to be provided by those free of commercial influence to prevent a conflict of interest.
- Training/updates documentation* should include: (a) objectives and (b) content outline, as one (1) file. PowerPoint slides or handout/poster or brochure, etc., as one (1) file.
* It is required that all three (3) files for documentation provided by your facility during the application process are in PDF form. Any PowerPoint PDFs should be provided as “handouts” with 4 slides to a page. Your application and supporting documentation should be provided in English only.
Recognition for Hospital-Based Facilities Includes:
- Inclusion in the IBCLC Care Award website available to new families and the general public.
- Letter of congratulations and certificate suitable for framing from IBLCE and ILCA.
- Press release provided to your facility for the local media of your choice.
- Recognition valid for 2 years.
Do you have questions? Does your facility qualify for this award program? How and when can your facility apply? For more information:
- Download the FAQs document to answer common questions.
- Click here to fill out an easy online form to contact IBLCE.
- Email IBLCE at firstname.lastname@example.org.